Hello Underdogs, and I hope you are having a wonderful Friday! If you are one of the lucky ones, you are currently at Comic Con in San Diego, California right now. If you aren’t, then you are like me and are reading and streaming about the whole event and all the panels. Comic Con is a huge convention where both geeks and nerds gather to buy new products, and learn more about their favorite franchise. Many cities have similar events, but not to this scale. This is where all the studios spend money and send their very biggest stars to get everyone hyped about what is coming next! You will see people from Marvel and DC as well as TV shows like Family Guy, The Simpsons, and Doctor Who. Normally, there is very exclusive promos that are only played at Comic Con, and you may never see them anywhere else. For example, for the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, there was a trailer played that was never released to the public. It included things that never made it into the actual show. It’s a big deal, and one day I would like to be able to make it there. In the meantime, here are my top 5 favorite characters based off a comic book to keep us all hyped!
- Captain America: Captain America is the best ideals of America jammed packed in a man named Steve Rogers. Steve begged to get drafted into the war even though he was very sickly. He volunteered for a project and became as Super Solider. All of this because he believed in the cause, and loved his country. Steve Rogers as Captain America is story telling at it’s best. It’s a young boy from Brooklyn who grew up and fought for what was right. His fall into becoming No Man was hard, and thankfully, short lived. Today, it seems like Cap was a Hydra sleeper agent this entire time, but I am hopeful that we will find out this is all misdirection. I love Captain America so much because he is willing to do the right thing, and die for it. He is a true hero from the inside out. His drive and ethics remind me so much of my Dad. That, and of course Cap punching Hitler is one of the reasons he is my all time favorite super hero.
- Iron Man: A billionaire philanthropist, Tony Stark is Iron Man! Marvel Studios is where it is today because of Iron Man. He is a man with many, many faults but still tries to fight his demons and do the right thing. He battles his addition with alcohol in the comics, and PTSD in the movies. His visions are for a world without having to have the Avengers, but still have a safety net in place. He brings the money, and the controversy but he understands the need to have a team. What I like most about Iron Man besides his charm and his sarcasm is his big flaws. He is suffering, and you can tell. He doesn’t deal with his demons in a very effective manner, but that makes him more human. It makes us want to see him to better.We still root for Iron Man, even when we are angry with him.
- Wonder Woman: I grew up with Wonder Woman. She was on TV in reruns, and on many different cartoons. I wasn’t that excited about her until this movie. I didn’t even like her on screen on Batman Vs. Superman, but that movie was terrible! That should have never been such an amazing character’s debut! I understand that it was a set up for The Justice League, but her character was wasted. It wasn’t until her stand alone movie where I saw how amazing Wonder Woman really was. Not that I didn’t enjoy Linda Carter back in the day, but it was more campy than a very kick ass super hero. This Wonder Woman was amazing! I loved her background. I loved her boldness and her willingness to fight. I loved that she followed her mission and still fights for the little person for hundreds of years. Wonder Woman is going in an amazing direction, and I can not wait to see where she goes next! I will be sure to follow.
- The Joker: A villain so complex had to make a list of favorites! The Joker has many different stories, which makes him so very complex. He started off as thief and morphed into a a sadistic murderer. He is capable of manipulating anyone, but is also very needy. He needs Batman in order to survive. It’s a very love hate relationship but they are too co-dependent. In the movies, The Joker killed Batman’s parents thus starting a lifelong obsession. In the comics, some random person killed the Wayne family, but in some versions, it becomes The Joker. The thing about the Joker is, you never know the truth about him because he changes it at will. Nothing is sacred to him except his love and hate for Batman.
- Batman: Where would I be without Batman? I watched the campy TV series all of the time, including the movie! Batman had such a tragic backstory. By witnessing his parent’s death, he became crazed and turned into Batman, a man who took the law into his own hand. Batman lives by a golden rule of not killing anyone. (However, he is really bad at that.) But he has saved countless people, and lives by working with the police and by going where no one else would go. He is a genius, billionaire, who has no limit on what he would do to fight crime. The movies are all very different versions of the caped crusader, but his heart is always the same. He wants to make his city safe and get rid of crime. Batman is the reason comic books exist, and the reason things are still going today.
The comic book world is full of amazing characters. The best ones are the ones with the most flaws. They stand the test of time and we root for them for a reason. It is very hard to narrow this down to only 5, and there are many reasons that I could list why these are my favorites. What about you? Who are your favorite comic book characters? Leave your comments below!
Naturebox is a paid affiliation program that I am working with. Please check them out!
Would you like free shipping on your Naturebox? Follow this link and get your free shipping with your purchase of $25.00!